Thursday, May 20, 2010

Review: Animal Liberation Orchestra at Higher Ground in S Burlington, VT 5/19

When I was checking out Higher Ground's calender I got so excited when I saw that Animal Liberation Orchestra was coming to town. My fiance Dan and I LOVE ALO and are constantly listening to their CD's on repeat. I was surprised to find out that they were playing the Showcase Lounge which is the smaller of the two rooms at Higher Ground. I was shocked because I thought for sure that they would be playing the big room to a sold out show. I did feel special getting to see such an intimate show though.

Everybody that attended was given a treat...a treat of not only fabulous music, but a treat of fabulous showmanship. ALO brings it and they don't hold back at all. One moment that sticks out to me was when they started to play one of my favorite songs "Girl I Want to Lay You Down." They didn't play it the normal, super sexy laid back way. They played it the polka way with Zach Gill on accordion! I mean seriously. It doesn't get much better than that! Well...until they encored with "Let's Go Crazy" by Prince.

I'm thinking that part of the reason that this band has so much fun on stage and that energy is exploding out of all their pores is that they live healthy lifestyles. Most of the time you see the bands drinking beer or whiskey on stage. Not ALO...at least not at this particular show. They were drinking GT's Kombucha and water.

The crowd was eating up every note they played and every word they sang. There were many sing-a-longs happening. This crowd was not the crowd I expected. I was expecting a lot of screaming, Jack Johnson fan, college girls that were under 21 to be at the show, but what happened was actually the opposite. Most of the people in attendance were in their 30's and were ready to rock out to a band they haven't seen play in Burlington for years.

My only complaint about the show was that I wish it was longer. It's not that they played a short show, it was that it was so good I wanted more!!!

Quotes from some fans:

Sara W from Waterbury, VT: "It rocked! I'm so glad I finally got to see these guys."

Live Music Beth from Burlington, VT: "So much fun! Happy to have these guys back in Burlington. I love Vince Gill. Haha." (Disclaimer...I accidentally called Zach Gill, Vince Gill and she was making fun of me)

Dan W from Burlington, VT: "Wow! Why did it have to end so early? It was so much fun. Play more Vince Gill."

By Taraleigh soon to be Weathers

http://www.alomusic.com

No comments: