One of my favorite holidays of the year is Earth Day. I try to celebrate Earth Day everyday, but then again I like to celebrate everything all the time! Here are my top 10 ways to celebrate! Don't just celebrate today, but every day.
1. Unplug your electronics when not in use. Some examples are microwave ovens, televisions, cell phone chargers, dvd players, stereos etc.
2. Whenever possible buy local and organic!
3. Not sure where to go this weekend? I bet your local town has a lot to offer! Stay close to home, save gas, and support your local economy.
4. Say no to your incandescent light bulbs and say yes to energy efficient compact fluorescent bulbs. Not only will you be saving the earth, but you will be saving money. You can get these light bulbs almost anywhere now-a-days.
5. Bike or walk to work or to run errands whenever possible. I like to walk to the post office instead of driving.
6. Take a shorter shower or take a bath to save water. Showering with a friend saves water too....well most of the time. You don't need to shower everyday either. Your skin and mama earth will be happy:)
7. Shop at thrift stores, second hand stores, and yard sales. Another fun thing to do is host a swap where your friends bring all the clothing and other items they don't want anymore and you swap. Donate what no one takes!
8. This is something I never knew. Using an energy efficient dishwasher uses less water than hand washing. Wow!
9. Drive less aggressively. It actually saves gas!
10. Instead of going to the gym to use machines that run on electricity, exercise outside.